Monday, November 17, 2008

Act 1, Scene 1

My name is Benvolio and I am a Montague. For many years now, the Montague's and the Capulet's have been angry at each other. Today I am going to tell you about an incident that happened in the streets of Verona to prove that not only the Montague's and Capulet's fight each other but the servants also do so. As I was walking through the streets, two Capulet servants were having a discussion, when two Montague servants walk by. Sampson and Gregory, servants of the Capulet house, decide to bite their thumb at Balthasar and Abraham, servants of the Montague house. The Montague servants approached the Capulet servants and asked them if they bite their thumb at Abraham and Balthasar. This causes the servants to draw their swords and fight. I stepped in immediately to stop the fight, for I believe in peace. Only then did Tybalt enter, who only wanted the fighting to continue. Soon enough we began to fight. Capulet and Montague come running in and also begin to fight. The streets of Verona have become a battle ground for the two households. As everyone was fighting, the Prince entered and was so upset at this dispute that he said that the next person to cause a fight in the streets of Verona shall face the consequence of death.



I agree with the consequence the Prince has made for two reasons. Firstly, because I feel that the fighting between the two households should stop. Secondly, because it is not the first time the Montague's and the Capulet's have disturbed the streets. I think that by the two households fighting the citizens of Verona are affected tremendously.





"Rebellious subjects, enemies of peace, profaners of this neighbour-stained steel" said the Prince.

I think the Prince said this because he knows that the Montague's and the Capulet's will never stop fighting and they will rebel against each other. I think this shows that the Prince is upset about the fighting that is going on, and wants to put it to an end.

No comments: