Sunday, November 23, 2008

Act 3, Scene 1

Yesterday was honestly one of the worst days of my life! My good friend Mercutio was killed, and my cousin was banished! As Mercutio and I were walking on the hot, hot streets of Verona, Tybalt, a Capulet approached us in search for Romeo. Mercutio decided to anger Tybalt for the fun of it. Just as Mercutio and Tybalt were going to draw their swords, Romeo appeared. Tybalt told Mercutio that he has peace with Mercutio, because it is Romeo whom he does not have peace with. As Tybalt called Romeo a villain, Mercutio began to become angry. This caused Mercutio to fight with Tybalt. They drew their swords, and Tybalt had slain Mercutio. Mercutio's last words were "a plague o' both your houses!" Oh! poor, poor Mercutio, only a victim of the ancient grudge of two households, he was not apart of. Romeo, now furious, went after Tybalt, they drew their swords and fought. Romeo had slain Tybalt as revenge for killing Mercutio. This was a bad move for the Prince had said the next person to cause a fight in the streets of Verona, would die. Realizing this, I told Romeo to run away. The Prince had arrived at the scene and I explained everything to him, as a punishment for killing Tybalt, Romeo was banished, and if he was seen in Verona, he would be killed.

"Tybalt, the reason that I love thee doth much excuse the appertaining rage to such a greeting.
Villain I am none; Therefore farewell; I See thou know'st me not"



When I heard Romeo say this to Tybalt, I immediately thought about the night before, when I overheard Romeo and Juliet talking about their marriage. I thought that maybe the reason Romeo said this was because he married Juliet and if he were to hurt Tybalt, he would technically be hurting his family. I felt a little upset that Romeo did not tell me about his marriage, we used to tell each other everything. I think that if Romeo told me about everything, maybe we could have found a way together to tell everyone, that way Mercutio would not have died and neither would Tybalt. Sometimes I feel that Romeo feels like he has to keep everything to himself.

No comments: