Sunday, November 23, 2008

Act 5, Scene 3


Oh, today must have been the worst day in Verona. My cousin Romeo, dead, along with his wife Juliet. My aunt dead from the grief of her son's banishment, and young Paris killed by Romeo. As I was walking along, minding my own business, I overheard Friar Laurence tell the Prince everything that had happened over the past week. He told the Prince about the marriage, the potion, the faked death and Romeo coming back from Mantua to save Juliet, only Romeo did not receive the letter. When I heard all this, my heart skipped a beat. I felt that I should have stopped Romeo from marrying Juliet, I knew that all of this would have a horrible ending. When I heard Montague say that Lady Montague had passed away, I felt horrible inside. I also felt really bad for Montague because his wife and son both died and he was left alone in this cruel world. I felt like nothing could make this day better.


"I brother Montague, give me thy hand. This is my daughter's jointure,

for no more can I demand." said Capulet.

"But I can give thee more; for I will raise her statue in pure gold;

That whiles Verona by that name is known, there shall no figure at such rate be set

as that of true and faithful Juliet." said Montague.

"As rich shall Romeo's by his lady's lie,

poor sacrifices of our enmity!" said Capulet.


Until I heard this, I felt like nothing could make this day get better. I felt like it was Romeo and Juliet's destiny to die like this. It was then that I realized that if none of this ever happen, then the ancient grudge between the Montague's and the Capulet's would never end. I think that when Montague and Capulet said this, they realized this also. Maybe now in Verona, there will be no more fighting, for many lives have been taken and many have grieved for too long. Maybe this new found friendship between Capulet and Montague will set Verona back to its original state.

No comments: